This is a difficult question to research, since there probably aren’t many examples of HSPs and Introverts in political office. Think about it. How many of us would subject ourselves to the abuse one has to take in order to run for a major office? Also, while we may have strong leadership and problem-skills, we are unlikely to possess the personality traits that you commonly find in politicians. For example, we don’t have narcissistic or Machiavellian tendencies or a high degree of extraversion.
With those thoughts aside, let’s dream, shall we? What would the world be like if we were in charge?
- There would be less conflict and more compromise. We dislike conflict and are natural peacemakers, so there would be less war and political infighting. We would use our diplomatic abilities to settle differences, seeking to unite rather than divide. We would call in the experts and make sure that we have the wisest people handling the most difficult and sensitive negotiations on both foreign and domestic matters.
- There would be more accountability and the utmost transparency. We value integrity and have a strong sense of justice. We would hold people accountable for their actions and the results they produce. There would be checks and balances on everything, including as much transparency as possible, making it harder to game the system or abuse power. There would be severe consequences for rule breakers.
- Compassion would be given a higher priority. We would seek to help vulnerable and disenfranchised populations, while at the same time addressing root causes. We would focus on finding remedies rather than judging those who struggle. These programs would be closely monitored to ensure effectiveness and to guard against abuse.
- There would be less animal abuse. We have a strong affection and respect for animals. There would be no tolerance for animal cruelty and abuse. Stricter rules and punishment for these types of crimes would be the order of the day.
- The earth would be better cared for. We have a love for nature and a deep concern for all living things. We would want the earth and all those in it protected, including plants, animals, and people. We are also more sensitive to pollutants, so we would promote clean air and clean water. We are conscientious, so we would seek long-term strategies to preserve the earth for future generations.
- There would be more “fairness” in our society. We would endeavor to give everyone a fair chance to succeed, regardless of demographics or socioeconomics. We would work to reduce the influence of money and power in politics. We would encourage all citizens to vote and remove obstacles that make it harder to do so. We would work to create a fair system of taxation.
- Decisions would be less political and more fact-based. We are thoughtful and always seeking to know more, so research (of all kinds) would be well-funded. Since facts and data are important to us, we would base our decisions on extensive research and expert analysis. We would set policy in the interest of serving the greater good rather than our own political advantage. In other words, we would NOT sell political power to the highest bidder!
- Political campaigns would be less vitriolic. We would spend more time focusing on “what we stand for” rather than “what we stand against.” Instead of trying to tear down our opponents, we would work to build support for our platform of ideas and policy solutions.
- There would be less insensitivity. We would make sure that insensitivity was a stigma in society. I’m not sure how this would be legislated, but somehow there would be harsh consequences for purposely hurting the feelings of others. I’m not saying that we should go the tar and feathering route, but it should be something that would embarrass the hell out of the perpetrator! I know this one may not be realistic, but we are dreaming, aren’t we? LOL!
Do you have anything to add? What do you think the world would be like if it were run by people like us? I’m interested in any thoughts or comments that you have. Please refrain from making partisan comments. I don’t want to start any of our own mud-slinging! 🙂 If you feel that my content is interesting, please share it with others.