Below are some important lessons that I’ve learned, which have helped me to live a healthy and happy life.
- Communication works best when it’s open, easy, spontaneous. It should also include active listening.
- Rules and boundaries should be clear and explicit, but also allow for flexibility.
- Individuality, freedom, and personal identity are enhanced by positive self-esteem.
- Enjoy doing things for yourself as well as others.
- Strike a balance between giving and receiving.
- Make play, humor, and fun a big priority in your life.
- Don’t attempt to “fix” others.
- Don’t allow yourself to be controlled by others.
- Let go of the need to “be right.”
- Have self-confidence and security in your own worth.
- Handle conflict directly until it’s resolved.
- Be open to constructive feedback.
- Understand that the best relationships are always built on trust.
- Don’t be afraid to express your needs and feelings.
- When you are involved in a negotiation, be fair to everyone involved.
- Mistakes are acceptable and provide lessons to learn from.
- You grow when you are willing to take risks.
- Believe that meaningful relationships exist.
- Forgive yourself and others.
- Don’t feel guilty for taking the time you need to be alone.
- Make personal growth, change, and exploration an important part of your life.
- Take responsibility for your behavior and your own happiness.
Elizabeth M. Atkinson, a fellow HSP, provides counseling and therapy services for individuals, couples and children in and around Greensboro, NC.
What do you think of this list? Which of these resonated the most with you? Do you have any pearls of wisdom of your own? One of my favorites came from my mother who told me…”Speak up or be left behind.” I used it as a mantra to remind myself to be more assertive. I’m interested in any thoughts or comments that you have.