I found this article from an unknown source that will be of interest to parents. It’s about children communicating their needs to their parents. They are as follows:
(1) Don’t spoil me. I know quite well that I ought not to have all that I ask for. I’m only testing you.
(2) Don’t be afraid to be firm with me. I prefer it. It makes me feel more secure.
(3) Don’t let me form bad habits. I have to rely on you to detect them in the early stages.
(4) Don’t make me feel smaller than I am. It only makes me behave stupidly.
(5) Don’t correct me in front of people if you can help it. I’ll take much more notice if you talk quietly with me in private.
(6) Don’t make me feel that my mistakes are sins. It upsets me and I feel that I always need to be perfect.
(7) Don’t protect me from consequences. I need to learn a painful lesson the hard way.
(8) Don’t be too upset when I say “I hate you”. It isn’t you I hate, but your power to thwart me.
(9) Don’t take too much notice of my small ailments. Sometimes they get me the attention that I need.
(10) Don’t nag. If you do, I shall have to protect myself by not listening to you.
(11) Don’t make rash promises. I feel badly let down when promises are broken.
(12) Don’t tell me that my fears are silly. They are terribly real to me. You can do much more to reassure me if you try to understand.
(13) Don’t put me off when I ask questions. If you do, you’ll find that I stop asking and seek information elsewhere.
(14) Don’t think it’s beneath your dignity to apologize to me. An honest apology makes me feel surprising warm toward you.
(15) Don’t forget how quickly I’m growing up. It must be very difficult to keep pace with me, but please try.
(16) Don’t forget that I love to experiment. That’s how I learn and grow.
(17) Don’t forget that I can’t thrive without lots of understanding love, but I don’t need to tell you that, do I?
Do any of these requests resonate with you as an adult? Can you add to these requests that you wish you could have communicated? I’m interested in any thoughts or comments that you have.
If you find my content useful, I would appreciate it if you would share it with others! Feel free to use the share buttons below, or to add your comments to this post. I do respond to comments!
Join my mailing list, and get my free e-book, 17 Powerful Tips To Help You Thrive As A Highly Sensitive Person.