Due to my highly sensitive and conscientious nature, I find myself bothered when things seem wasteful. I wish I didn’t care so much about these things, but I can’t help it! Waste to me is wasting time and emotional energy. We highly sensitive people cannot afford to waste any of these precious resources!
Here are some personal examples of waste that I’ve had in my life. I’m not perfect, but self-awareness helps me alleviate what no longer serves me. I’m a work in progress.
- Wasting time on useless worry. I’m guilty of focusing too much on what I don’t want to happen.
- Depleting my energy on bitter arguments and misunderstandings.
- Spending too much time in the past or in the future, rather than in the present moment.
- Wasting emotional energy by holding on to anger and not forgiving others. I’ve found that you can forgive others in your own heart and mind without actually confronting the other person. This helps me tremendously!
- Complaining about problems and then never doing anything to solve them. Taking action on a problem is a great stress reliever. Not doing anything about something that doesn’t matter will always help. That’s an action in itself.
- Taking things too personally. I have a habit of being a grievance collector. I’ve found that you can’t live a good life by being perpetually pissed off!
- Trying to solve everyone else’s problems. I’ve found it’s impossible to do this. I have enough problems to solve on my own!
- Watching too much TV, reading newspapers, and spending too much time on the internet. I definitely have to work on this! I find that the more time I spend, the more depressed and less productive I become!
- Trying to make myself do something that goes above my physical and emotional capabilities. When you know yourself by life long learning about your strengths and weaknesses, you can have a plan to focus on your strengths and do what you like to do.
Can you relate to any of these? Have I left anything out?
Carefully consider the choices you make, regardless of what you’ve done in the past. Ask yourself questions like… Is this the best use of my time? Do I have control over a situation, or am I just wasting emotional resources? Are my thoughts and concerns solving a problem, or are they just causing me stress?
Do you feel that you have too much “waste” in your life? I’m interested in any thoughts or comments you have.
If you find my content useful, I would appreciate it if you would share it with others! Feel free to use the share buttons below, or to add your comments to this post. I do respond to comments!
Join my mailing list, and get my free e-book, 17 Powerful Tips To Help You Thrive As A Highly Sensitive Person.