How “connected” are you? Studies show that our capacity to connect with other people plays an important role in our personal happiness, longevity, and ability to handle stress.
Unfortunately, since highly sensitive people tend to need a lot of “alone” time, it’s relatively easy to get caught up in our own “little worlds”. While it’s healthy to have some alone time, we need to be careful that we don’t take it too far and become socially isolated.
It’s critical for HSPs to seek out like-minded people, especially those who are nurturing and optimistic. Advantages to joining a social group include:
- They provide emotional support, companionship, and an outlet to share our thoughts.
- Giving and receiving support not only feels good, but also reduces our stress, strengthens our bodies, and gives us the courage and confidence to be our best selves.
- Keeps us from feeling isolated and lonely.
- Lifts our spirits and improves our outlook of the future.
- Researchers have found that people are happier when they are with other people than when they are alone.
- Belonging to a group gives us a sense of identity.
Everyone is different and it’s important to honor the amount of social connection that we need. A balance of online and offline connection is something to think about. You can find social groups that coincide with your interests.
You can find groups for any interest in a location near you. If there isn’t a group, you can start one. Does anyone have any other suggestions? How “connected” are you? I’m interested in any thoughts or comments that you have.
If you find my content useful, I would appreciate it if you would share it with others! Feel free to use the share buttons below, or to add your comments to this post. I do respond to comments!
If you haven’t already, sign up for my mailing list. When you subscribe, you’ll receive my free newsletter, Thoughts for the Thoughtful, in addition to my free e-book. My newsletter comes out twice a month on alternating Thursdays…or on what I like to call “Thoughtful Thursdays.” Subscribers will also gain access to exclusive deals and occasional free giveaways. Don’t hesitate to sign up…Thoughts For The Thoughtful is a quick-and-easy read yet jam packed with lots of useful information!