I partcipate in many online forums. I’m distressed to find that many highly sensitive people, introverts, empaths, and people that are shy and/or have social anxiety would like to be something that they are not. You may be surprised at how many people lack the ability to accept themselves for who they are. Many people are able to put on a front so they appear self-confident when they really aren’t.
The good news is that, even if you’re one of these people, you can learn how to accept yourself. If you’re suffering from low self worth and confidence, you really do have the ability to turn things around!
It’s important to accept yourself because that one move can mean the difference between a life of happiness and a life of sadness. When you accept yourself, you’re more likely to accomplish more in your life. The reason is the fact that self-acceptance can be seen as a foundation. After you accept yourself, you can continue to build from there and add on: confidence, tranquility, enthusiasm, drive and happiness.
Try these strategies to help you accept yourself:
- Allow for mistakes. Sometimes you may try too hard to be perfect, and this in itself is another mistake. Allow yourself to make mistakes because you’re a human being. You’ll make small mistakes and big mistakes in life, but it’s how you bounce back from them that’ll make all the difference.
- Live in the present. The reason you haven’t accepted yourself could be the fact that you’re living your life in the past. Maybe you’re unable to forgive yourself for something that has happened or a certain trait that you have. Getting over the past is an important step to build confidence, self-respect, and hope for the future.
- Avoid comparing yourself to others. Others have different skill sets and life experiences, which may make you envious. In these situations, come to terms with the fact that you don’t have what they have. However, on the bright side, there are many things that you do have that they don’t. Each and every person is unique. Be grateful for what makes you different from others, as this is part of your own inner beauty!
- Have realistic goals. If you don’t maintain realistic goals, you’re setting yourself up for failure. The truth is, you won’t even have a chance from the start! So instead, give yourself a reasonable chance to achieve your goals based on your personal characteristics and preferences.
- Be comfortable in your own skin. Sometimes you don’t want to accept yourself because of the way you look and act. Society puts some serious pressure on people that way. Remember that people in magazines are usually unhealthy and airbrushed and you shouldn’t strive to look like them. Instead, focus on your positive attributes and overall health.
- Online forums. There are many forums that have discussions about high sensitivity, social anxiety, shyness, empathic qualities, and many other groups that you may relate to. Use these forums to share your thoughts and get support. It’s helpful to realize that you’re not alone and it will emphasize the good qualities that you have. A word of caution…It’s not helpful to wallow in self-pity discussions about the drawbacks of being who you are.
Take these strategies to heart because, once you learn to accept yourself, you’ll find that the world is mostly a wonderful place and you’ll enjoy your place in it! I’m interested in any thoughts or comments that you have.
If you find my content useful, I would appreciate it if you would share it with others! Feel free to use the share buttons below, or to add your comments to this post. I do respond to comments!
Join my mailing list, and get my free e-book, 17 Powerful Tips To Help You Thrive As A Highly Sensitive Person.