Why do highly sensitive people tend to trust too soon in both professional and personal relationships? For me, I’ve been naive in thinking that everyone has honorable intentions. In the real world, this just isn’t true.
I’ve learned that I can’t trust others until they’ve earned my trust. It’s never a good idea to reveal too much about yourself before trust has been established.
I’ve been accused of being an idealist. I try to see the best in everyone and everything. As highly sensitive people, it’s very easy for us to assume that others feel the way we do. Dishonest people aren’t good for anyone, but this is especially true for HSPs. We must make sure that we keep our distance from them.
Do you seem to be easy prey for “master manipulators?” These people enjoy taking advantage of your highly sensitive nature. They tell you all the things you want to hear and make you feel guilty for not revealing more than you want to. Don’t fall for it! Use your intuition to deal with this situation.
What are some clues of people who are trustworthy? Here are some examples:
- They treat everyone with respect. Pay attention to the way a person treats others. This is a true indicator of their character and trustworthiness.
- They don’t take more than they give. Does this person ask more from you than their willing to give? All good relationships have balance in this respect.
- Past behavior predicts future behavior. How have they treated others in the past? Do they make excuses for bad behavior?
- Are they reliable? Can you rely on what they say and do?
- Do they speak positively or negatively about others? Trustworthy people often don’t speak ill of others, or if they offer criticism, it is done in a fair, constructive manner. Beware of gossipers. If they gossip about someone else, they will gossip about you.
- Are they honest about themselves? Pay attention to what they say. Is it consistent to how they really seem to you? Listen to your gut feelings!
Are you too trusting? How can you prevent yourself from trusting the wrong people? I’m interested in any thoughts or comments that you have.
If you find my content useful, I would appreciate it if you would share it with others! Feel free to use the share buttons below, or to add your comments to this post. I do respond to comments!
If you haven’t already, sign up for my mailing list. When you subscribe, you’ll receive my free newsletter, Thoughts for the Thoughtful, in addition to my free e-book. My newsletter comes out twice a month on alternating Thursdays…or on what I like to call “Thoughtful Thursdays.” Subscribers will also gain access to exclusive deals and occasional free giveaways. Don’t hesitate to sign up…Thoughts For The Thoughtful is a quick-and-easy read yet jam packed with lots of useful information!