I do! I try to minimize them as much as I can. It’s human nature to have more negative thoughts than positive ones. Negative thoughts are things that none of us really want to have, but we all seem to get at some point. Whether it’s about ourselves, the things we’re doing, our jobs or other people, it’s difficult to get rid of negative thoughts once they enter our minds. Here are some techniques that I use to stop negative thoughts:
- Practice actively stopping negative thoughts. If you feel that you’re about to start thinking negatively, stop the thoughts before they have a chance to really kick in and take over your mind. If you’ve already started to think negatively, actively change your thoughts to positive ones. Easier said that done, so the more you practice this, the less you’ll find yourself thinking negatively.
- Focus on the positive. Even if you don’t have any negative thoughts at the moment, you can help to keep them away by focusing on positive things. Throughout the day, think about the things you like about yourself and your life.
- Do things that boost your confidence. Whether it’s the confidence you feel about yourself or the confidence to do different things and take the plunge, building on your own self-confidence is never a bad thing. Go out of your way to do things that will take you out of your comfort zone and give your self-esteem a boost.
- Spend time with positive people. The people you associate with will have a big effect on the way you feel about life in general. If you surround yourself with people who are consistently negative, you will start to feel negative about more things. If you spend time with positive people, you will feel more positive about your life.
- Have regular alone and think time. Take a moment to breathe and think about your life. Giving yourself this time each day, or even just a couple of times a week, will help you to promote positive thoughts and get rid of any negative thoughts which you might be holding onto.
- Try talk therapy. People are often put off by the word “therapy”, but talk therapy is a great way to let go of any negative thoughts and get some things off your chest. While counsellors will offer this service to you, many people like to get a form of talk therapy from friends and family. If there is someone you trust, talk to them about some of your problems and negative thoughts. Venting your frustrations to an internet group of like-minded people who you trust is another way to go.
Is there any other ways to rid ourselves of negative thoughts? I’m interested in any comments or thoughts that you have.
If you find my content useful, I would appreciate it if you would share it with others! Feel free to use the share buttons below, or to add your comments to this post. I do respond to comments!