Highly sensitive people sometimes get too involved with the complexities of life that we don’t take the time to rest or get enough sleep. Recharging our emotional and physical batteries is crucial to our well-being and productivity.
How do you know when you need to rest? While people respond differently to fatigue, below are some issues that I have when I’m sleep-deprived.
- I’m not able to focus on the things that are important to me.
- I forget easily and have to write notes to remind myself of things I need to do.
- I don’t have the patience or the need to be around others.
- I get very irritable and am unpleasant to be around.
- My immune system gets depleted, and I have frequent illnesses.
- I have a harder time making decisions.
- I am drawn to foods that aren’t good for me.
Do you get the rest that you need? Can you relate to any of these issues? As highly sensitive people, it’s very important for us to pay attention to the signals we get from our body!
Below is a poem by C.J. Russell that I hope will inspire you to get the rest that you need!
Rest Is All I Need
Rest is all I need.
Time for myself.
Time to find new and clearer direction.
Time to find peace…
These days the wheels spin incessantly,
making such demands on my life
that I sometimes feel powerless
to take control.
My very nature seems programmed
to resist time for reflection;
To resist the pause in a day
that might allow me to touch
My most quiet place.
But rest assured,
that place is there,
waiting patiently within.
I’ll take time for myself
to be with me.
And I’ll relax in the certainty that
Rest will render that which I need
to accomplish the things
I, truly, must.
As always, I’m interested in any thoughts or comments you have on this topic.