I’ve been asked this question many times. Since I’m not a medical professional, I don’t have a definitive answer. I do know from personal experience, that if I have prolonged stress, my immune system is not working as well as it should.
I’m a highly sensitive person that’s like a human sponge that takes in everything around me. I exercise more self-care when life become too overwhelming. Being highly sensitive isn’t a character flaw or weakness. It’s a natural way of being. The more I understand myself, the sooner I take precautions to prevent physical/emotional illness/disease.
Some of my self-care precautions include:
- Getting more rest. Sometimes I need more sleep.
- Setting better boundaries that includes not overextending my schedule, saying “no” to others, and delegating more responsibility to others.
- Getting regular exercise.
- Going outdoors and being in the sun.
- Taking time off and doing an activity that I enjoy.
- Get acupuncture treatment. It’s very relaxing and gets my body into balance.
- Talk therapy that includes talking to family, friends, and seek professional help when needed.
The key is to take self-care precautions before you get to the point of illness/disease. I’m getting better at doing this. It’s a habit that needs to be recognized and worked on constantly.
Are HSPs more prone to health issues? I can’t say for sure, but you will definitely help yourself by not going over your physical and emotion limits. Take care of yourself and don’t feel guilty about it!
I’m interested in any thoughts or comments about this. How do you exercise self-care?