Have you ever been so overwhelmed and frazzled that you can’t think straight? If you’re like me and many other highly sensitive people, I’m sure that you can relate to this situation.
Don’t worry, your brain power boost is only a few simple steps away. The tips below will help you in your quest to keep your brain working better.
- Engage in a Regular Exercise. Do simple exercises like a short walk or jog. It doesn’t have to be as intense as a full-blown work-out. You just have to keep your body active. Simple work-outs on a regular basis will trigger the release of neuro-chemicals known as endorphins. These chemicals make you feel happy and more relaxed.
- Use your Brain. If you exercise your body, you should also exercise your brain. The more often you use your brain muscles, the easier it will be to think and learn. You can read, do crossword puzzles, or even play educational games. Perhaps you can do research on topics of interest, ponder complex issues, write articles, or journal your thoughts. Any activity that can keep your brain working will give you a mental boost.
- Eat right! According to nutritionists, the most important strategy is to follow a healthy diet that includes plenty of fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains. Try to get protein from plant sources and fish, whenever you can. Choose healthy fats, such as olive oil or canola, rather than saturated fats. Green, leafy vegetables, such as kale, spinach, and broccoli are especially rich in brain-boosting nutrients, as are berries and nuts…especially walnuts.
- Sleep Well. Sleeping is the time when your body rebuilds and recharges itself. Most professionals believe that you should sleep for at least six to eight hours a day. Aside from these hours, you should also try to take short power naps. After these refreshing sleeps and naps, you will surely feel energized to take on more activities for the day. Your brain will function better with more hours of sleep.
- Relax. Take the time to relax and cleanse your mind of the worries and stresses that might overwhelm your thoughts. You may want to listen to music, spend time in nature, watch a favorite movie, or any other activity that gives your mind a break from the hassles of everyday life.
Make it a habit to consciously build frazzle busting activities into your normal routine. What other activities will help lighten your physical and emotional load? I’m interested in any thoughts or comments that you have.